Monday, June 9, 2008

Get Ready, Set...

I am almost ready to begin looking for another job. But, there is no rush or critical situation at the moment. I anticipate that the transition could take anywhere from 2 weeks to several weeks or more. The shorter window would be if I sought and secured employment in the private sector.

If you do not know me already or know what I do, or did, I worked in the public sector. In transportation planning. I absolutely love the profession. I expect working for the public in the future, it would be an honor, but would not rule out working for a transportation consultant firm. The advantage of the public sector is having a closer relationship to the public and achievements in doing some good.

Anyway, the recruitment process for the public sector is much more exacting... extended... err... it takes time. Based on past experience, when a public entity decides to recruit for a position it can take as many as 6 months to get a body. That is somewhere between standard and being optomistic. And, it is only after about 2 or 3 full months into that process that a recruitment notice is even publicized.

Anyway, over the weekend I made sure my computer could talk to my printer and that I had envelopes and stamps. My resume is pretty much up to date and in good condition. But, I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a professional look at it. After all, I am working with a model approach that has been standard for 10 or more years!

I should probably begin thinking about online tools and advice sites. Perhaps I'll link them. Any readers know of good sites? Other than the standard Monster.

No comments: