Monday, June 9, 2008

I Lost My Job Today

Well, I am home now. That should be telling in of itself now. I should say, as soon as I walked out the door to head to work, or maybe after my initial post (see below), I felt at ease about the possibility.

And, the ride into work was rather nice and relaxing (On Bus Route 11). I didn't feel any pent-up nervous energy at all. I suppose my reaction was typical for me; it's outside of my control so why fret about it.

Of course, writing about it also helps.

I wish I felt that way on Saturday evening and Sunday. Maybe my falling asleep early and getting up ridiculously early at 5am was more to do with catching up on jet lag than anticipating today. Although, each night I had work related nightmares fesh on my mind upon awakening!

Here's how it went:

On my way in I decided to run an errand, knowing that I would likely miss being there right at 8am. I got off the bus and headed for a nearby post office.

Then, I headed to Starbucks at 10th & Market. This is one I typically hit on my way to work. Or, visit for a work break once or twice a month.

I walked the rest of the way.

Interesting was that my path took me across a large parking lot located between Petco Park and my office building. My co-workers were now located in offices on the 10th floor, and have a view of the lot. Did they see me coming in?

Either way, I walked into the building at about 8:15am, cup of Starbucks in hand, and straight to an elevator. To my fortune, no waiting. I half expected someone from HR downstairs to greet me?

Instead of going to my new office floor on the 10th, my department moved from the 9th to the 10th floor last week while I was on vacation, I headed to Human Resources located on the old floor. After-all, that is where the IT person suggested I go on Monday morning.

I swiped my card to gain entrance to employee area, it worked, and headed to the welcome desk. I thought HR also moved last week to my departments old area last week too. But, I was wrong. I asked the reception person, whom has always been nice and excellent person, to phone someone I knew in HR, and whom I envisioned could be doing the deed.

The receptionist showed some confusion, but that was natural since I could have easily walked across the hall and straight to HR without a formal invitation. While she was on hold and answering questions to others, a couple co-workers in another department teased me for going to the wrong floor. I wanted to step away and visit with them, but, before I knew it the call-back from HR was that they wanted me to come down the hall to see them.

And so I did.

After arriving in HR, the Director was there to greet me and invited me into his office. I stepped away for a second to drop-off my old office key in an adjacent office, since I was no longer in that office whether or not I had a job, and a book I barrowed from the company library managed by HR. It's title was True North.

I made my way back to the Director of HR's office.

Still not knowing, I walked in and in a pleasant manner asked, "So, was my intiuition correct? Did you hear I came over the weekend and put 2 and 2 togehter?"

I got the affirmative and was offered to take a seat.

He is a good guy. And he knows his duties very well. Our whole conversation was pleasant.

Soon after arriving, the interim director of my department showed up. We each then sat and went over the details. Of course, I got the apoligies that are standard, and we went over the transition... vacation time paid out, the company will pay for 3 months of health insurance, retirement and 457 advice, and if I sign an agreement I'll get a severance package.

That last part I did not anticpate, but it is welcome and will make the transition less stressful as I begin looking for another job.

The total discussion lasted about 15 minutes. I know it was not easy for them to provide me the news. I could tell it in their eyes and voice; mostly my interim boss. The HR Director is good guy and was both friendly and professional about the news.

But, I think I was the most at ease in the room. No wavering voice. No shaking hands. No asking 'why me and not someone else.'

My new ex-boss then walked me 150 feet out to the elevator to go down, talking most of the time about the transition and advising me to call her if needed. I think it was difficult for her, but, she probably knew it was a duty she was suppose to do; as much for my benefit as also for herself and personal understanding and growth.

Her next duty was to inform the department. I am sure that was a little stressful too.

Now, I am off to deposit my vacation time that was paid out; about 240 hours, and to get some lunch. After all, I got up at 5am and I am hungry.

No comments: